Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be moving to a foreign country to live, let alone a country in the Middle East. Over the 2009 Christmas and New Year’s holidays, my husband Roger and I discussed what we wanted the next part of our life to be like. He thought that before retiring, he would like to do one more airport project but only if he could find something very interesting. I half-jokingly agreed that would be fine but could he try for an exotic location? As usual, Roger came through and soon we were headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. This blog is a recap of our "leap-of- faith" wanderings around the Middle East and beyond. We joyfully share these expat experiences.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

From the Grand Canyon to the Great Wall - Travelers Best, Worse and Most Ridiculous Stories from the Road


NOTE: This guest post is from David Slenk the editor and author of  "From the Grand Canyon to the Great Wall: Travelers' Best, Worst and Most Ridiculous Stories from the Road" to which I am a contributor. The other stories are great too! Make sure to get a copy.   

Just about a year ago, I found myself in the middle of Bolivia, sharing stories over drinks with a group of fellow travelers after a day of exploring. Over the previous month, I had visited the Uyuni Salt Flats, placed my hands in footprints left by dinosaurs millions of years ago, descended into the “mountain that eats men” to meet miners still working with 500 year old technology, and cruised across Lake Titicaca. I had met adventurers from Australia, Holland, Japan, Canada, Brazil and dozens of other countries.


Dinosaur footprints! I mean, how cool is that?

And I realized along the way that, well, travelers are interesting people. And they do exciting things.


Thanks to my travels I had some truly incredible stories to tell, and I was constantly enthralled around the hostel dinner table as I listened to the amazing things the people around me had done and seen.

I wanted my friends and family back home to have access to those stories, to know what it really is like to travel the world – whether that means a quick trip, a gap year jaunt or some time living abroad. I wanted there to be a book full of travel story goodness: smart and dumb decisions, funny and serious moments, professional and amateur styles… a true collection of unique people and stories. Because that’s what travel is: unique and meaningful, with no two people or trips the exact same. I searched the ‘net and saw that what I wanted didn’t exist – and so set out to compile a book that brings the experience of traveling the world home to the reader.

With the help of Katie and 53 other authors, I believe we have done just that. “From The Grand Canyon To The Great Wall: Travelers’ Best, Worst And Most Ridiculous Stories From The Road” brings together 67 stories from 45 countries.

It chronicles some brutal mistakes, a few breathtaking sights and more than one life-changing moment. And hopefully it will inspire you to get up and create your own story – either right here at home or out in the farthest reaches of our world. 

Most of all, I think it’s a great book. An interesting read. A collection of well-crafted, quick-hitting, entertaining stories. Otherwise I wouldn’t waste the space on Katie’s great blog trying to sell it!

So, if all that sounds good – and you want to support Katie in her capacity as a contributing author – please check out our book page at www.SlenkDeeLLC.com/Grand2Great.php

Whether you love your eReader or can’t dream of reading without the good old-fashioned feel of a soft-cover in your hands, we’ve got you covered. “Grand To Great” is available across all eBook platforms for $6.99 and as a physical book for $18.99 (links to all platforms are at the website). I hope you’ll check it out!

Thanks for reading – I hope you enjoy the book!

David Slenk

Editor and Author, “From The Grand Canyon To the Great Wall: Travelers’ Best, Worst And Most Ridiculous Stories From The Road”

Postscript . . . .
To order your copy  . . . click on the book cover above and at the top of that page are listed the sources to get the book - hard copy from Createspce, Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Nobles Nook and Smashwords for IPad, Sony, Kodo, etc. Hope your enjoy the book. 

2 comments:

  1. Just bought a copy on Kindle. Can't wait to read it!
    Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much

    My web site - 부산달리기

    ReplyDelete