Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would be moving to a foreign country to live, let alone a country in the Middle East. Over the 2009 Christmas and New Year’s holidays, my husband Roger and I discussed what we wanted the next part of our life to be like. He thought that before retiring, he would like to do one more airport project but only if he could find something very interesting. I half-jokingly agreed that would be fine but could he try for an exotic location? As usual, Roger came through and soon we were headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. This blog is a recap of our "leap-of- faith" wanderings around the Middle East and beyond. We joyfully share these expat experiences.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

THE BLOGGING BOOMERS CARNIVAL #218

Good news today.


I am the newest member of The Blogging Boomers Carnival, the longest running boomer blog carnival on the Internet.

As faithful readers know, I have been writing about our expat adventures since moving to Dubai 15 months ago. It started as a way to keep the brain cells working as I struggled, after 25 years of working,  to adjust to what I refused to accept – my retirement.

So I started writing. And I have enjoyed every moment of it.  This past January I made the conscious decision to make travel writing my new career. I think this my 9th career, if you count motherhood.  I have had just a really hard time deciding what to be when I grow up!



The Ultimate Boomer Travelers
The Blogging Boomers Carnival is a collection of outstanding, top-ranked boomer bloggers who speak to different boomer issues and . . .  Oh, I hate this word – retirement.

It is quite an interesting group. Laura Lee Carter, the Midlife Crisis Queen, talks about turning your mid-life crisis into an opportunity. Anne Maxfield, the Accidental Locavore shares her insights, tips and food adventures. Coach John Ano offers life coaching tips for confident and independent Baby Boomers. Vaboomer, Virginia Coru, covers Baby Boomer culture, retirement and more.   

Life Coach Anne Harrison passionately helps people get the happiest, healthiest, most vital productive, energetic, prosperous and fulfilling retirement possible. Rhea BeckerThe Boomer Chronicles, a 50 something Baby Boomer, examines mid life crisis, ennui in America and other compelling ideas, and Sightings at 60, covers life, finance, retirement and other concerns of people who realize that somehow they have grown up. Is this the definition of retirement?


I thank them all for accepting my humble offerings and hope that you also enjoy their writings.


The Blogging Boomer Carnival #218
John over at SoBabyBoomer offers seven tech-friendly product ideas for boomers.


Enjoy reading how a tomato becomes a water-balloon and other true tales of the farmers' markets from the Accidental Locavore.


The Boomer Chronicles asks: How could tampons and ginger foreshadow world collapse?


Sightings at 60 premiers their completely new look with larger typeface so that (ahem) aging Baby Boomers don't have to don glasses to read this blog.


Cluck, Cluck, Ka-Ching! Vaboomer says that raising chickens is a new frugal trend.


The Mid-Life Crisis Queen shares a timely reminder of how lucky we were to be born Baby BoomersAnd since her specialty is Midlife Psychology, here's a post she wrote on how to Give up sooner when others have nothing to give.  


They have chosen my Top 10 Reasons I LOVE living in Dubai as my first contribution. 


Postscript . . . 
Last count the dreaded word retirement was mentioned 5 times in this article . . . more times than I have ever acknowledged the word!



2 comments:

  1. Congrats Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! Retirement suddenly takes on a new meaning..

    ReplyDelete